My Crochet story...

A year or two ago, I decided to learn how to knit... I was always amazed by all the beautiful things older people (specially women) make... and I have tried to learn it before, but I was always told "you're too young to be doing this" and that I might like it when I am older... much older.

Hmm... I have given it a try around two years ago... but I gave up as soon as I started. I felt like my arms were like an old typewriter... having to shift from one side to the other all the time... naaah, not for me!

So... I looked for something else. I tried needlebinding... the old viking knitting technique in which your thumb, a  needle, and 1 meter long yarn is used at a time... then you have to splice a new piece and so on... the only thing that came out of that experience was 4 hours of struggling with the needle and thumbs, with yarn twirling the wrong way... but I managed to settle for a headband instead of a whole cap... (I had lost patience by the time I had finished the fifth row of stitches)... I have not given up on needlebinding yet... maaaaaybe I will pick it up again, wheeeeen.... I am older? Maybe.

With needlebinding out of the picture... I was stuck with Crochet... and boy did I get stuck to it! 

To be honest, I had no one to teach me how to crochet... So I did what the fashion is nowadays... and I googled it... and stumbled across a simple tutorial video which got me started with the simple stitch... and that lead to a double stitch, which lead to decorative stitches... I learned the basics from the video, but after two hours I had made my first wool cap! 

By the second week I had made 3 pairs of socks, without using any pattern or instructions... 
I did make a few counting mistakes... and one sock did end up being tighter than the other... but hey, I was a beginner... and beginners don't make socks, do they? ;)

By the third week, I was making neck and wrist warmers... 

And before I know it, I had two suitcases full of crochet items.

I took yarn to work with me, and crochetted during the long hours of traffic jam, met new people onv public transportation, I seem to have stirred their curiosity... Old ladies smiled at me... Young women asked me curious questions... and before I knew it, I was selling them on the bus before even finishing them! 

I started making customized items, baby clothing... funny and weird caps... here are a few examples, in case you don't believe me :P

Just in the last 5 days, I have finished 5 pieces of baby clothing : 










 This one below however is premade wool, I turned it into a mini coat for babies.



Cellphone pouches
 more baby clothing!



 A new born baby sweater that can turn into a cap later on!
more sweaters...
 
 French berets...
Bannannnaaaa! Minions :D 
 more berets
 sweaters
 hood & wrist warmer set
cap & wrist warmer set
 neck warmer
 head band 
 wool cap
beret
 
 neck warmer 
 baby cap
beret
 
 baby viking helmet cap
 beret
 drawer of goodies!
baby dress/sweater...
 leg warmers
 cartoon inspired wool cap
leg warmers 
druid inspired hood
baby sweater in the making...
 
 baby girl dress

baby elf hood-cape
 
 wallet/make-up pouch.
 mohair cap
 baby socks
 more caps
the famous first three pairs of socks I have made! 
wool cap
 crazy devil cap
elf cap
 
 neck warmer
 more caps
 even a handmade viking inspired doll
 cap with ear warmers
wool cap 
baby boots
 beret
 watermelon kids' cap
and the list goes on and on...


Some of these items are still available on my facebook group:
Midnight Crafts (CLICK)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Leather Steampunk inspired Corset-Belt tutorial.

Making Viking Belt bags - the old way...

The law is here to defend liars!